Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo switch - NAT type 3 / strict FIX

BrNcO
Investigator

PlayStation/Xbox/Nintendo switch - NAT type 3 / strict FIX

Hello everyone.

If you just got your new 5G broadband connection from three like me and you are encountering NAT problems on gaming consoles, here is a workaround for the problem so you can play online without restrictions until three finishes their "investigation" of the problem (from what I saw they are "investigating" for months even though the problem and solution to it are clear as day)".

One warning before you start! I am using NordVPN that I have paid for. You may find some other VPN providers that are free and might work but I do not have time to test which one works. This guide works with OpenVPN protocol (tested with OpenVPN (UDP)) and should be universal.

Anyway, To fix this problem from your side you will need a VPN client (I am using NordVPN), computer that is connected to your router with a wire and WiFi available on your computer.

Basically how this workaround works is that you connect your computer to the VPN and then you create a WiFi hotspot on your computer that will be using the VPN connection which will give you better NAT type (for me it is NAT type 2 on PlayStation and NAT type B on Nintendo switch).

Easier than typing the guide for it is to watch this video. It shows and explains everything that needs to be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pbrGkcUvZE&ab_channel=vpnMentor

Good luck!

🤑Get ExpressVPN with a 49% Discount here: https://www.vpnmentor.com/yt/expressvpn/?target=yt524&loc=tfd/ 👉Also, check our hottest deals on top VPN's by checking the link below: https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/best-vpn-deals/?utm_source=youtube&utm_content=VPNshare&utm_term=des1/ How to share a VPN
3 REPLIES 3
Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @BrNcO, thanks for taking the time to post the workaround that has been successful for you. 

While this has worked for you, unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to guarantee that this is going to work for all broadband users. The team is continuing to work on a solution to this and as soon as I have any updates I will be continuing to update the community here

Yes I can not guarantee that it will work with all (or any) free vpn service but otherwise if paid service is used and set up don't properly the redirection of connection trough VPN will make the nat less strict simply out of the principle of how VPN works.

One way or other it is better than relying on three's months long "investigation" even though the problem and fix for it are clear and all that has to be done is a NAT setting changed in the transmitters but I bet that network technicians know it and it's just the company that is not giving the order to do it. 

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

I can understand your concerns and as soon as I have further updates on this I will be posting these under the thread here.  I assure you that I am in contact with the network team who are actively working on a solution to this query.