Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Shared data throttled

SOLVED
Patrick_16979
Investigator

Shared data throttled

I have a TP-Link mobile broadband M7350 with new 3 SIM. Was getting 50 Mbps download & 20 Mbps download. Now only getting 0.5 Mbps download & 25 Mbps upload after only using 17GB. Totally unusable. I’m on holidays in Ardmore, Co. Waterford. It is the same on my GoMo (which uses the Three network) phone when sharing data <1 download & 25 upload but testing it on the phone it is 103 download. Why is sharing data throttled to be unusable?

[Update] Swapped out GoMo SIM in phone & installed my 3 SIM. It is similar, download 53 Mbps measured on phone and only 0.4 Mbps download and 25 Mbps upload when measured on laptop with shared data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer
Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

We do offer a Prepay Broadband SIM card check it out here. There's no need to sign into a contract if you're not interested. The difference in the SIMs is in how they're provisioned, with the phone SIM it's set up to use call & text service along with data. The broadband SIM is set up for data use only & is designed for use in broadband devices. 

I've checked on the coverage in & around the Ardmore area but don't see any reports of works affecting service in the area. With the broadband device you're using the TP-Link there's no troubleshooting I can do to investigate your speeds as it's not a Three device. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

@Patrick_16979 Hi there & welcome to the Community. Can you confirm if the Three SIM you're using is a mobile phone or broadband SIM? From the sounds of your explanation, you may be using a mobile phone SIM in the TP-Link.

When you say 'sharing data' are you referring to hotspotting? If so we'd recommend that you don't use it, simply because we don't support tethering. This means if you have difficulties with tethering/hotspot, we can't help you! 

You can certainly change to an All You Can Eat data plan and use the hotspot feature. You won't be charged for this data use, well in Ireland 😄 Many members on 3Community have used their hotspot feature/are using their hotspot feature, no bother and then again, if there is a bother, we don't support tethering/hotspotting only mobile or broadband data.

Patrick_16979
Investigator

Thanks Shane for responding. It is a standard mobile phone pay as you go sim €20 for 28 days. I rang 2 Three shops locally and they only sell standard phone sim and they say it is the same. If I go with a mobile broadband contract Three will send out a broadband sim and modem. I am confused. Do Three shops not do mobile broadband SIM cards? How is mobile broadband sim different to phone sim.

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

We do offer a Prepay Broadband SIM card check it out here. There's no need to sign into a contract if you're not interested. The difference in the SIMs is in how they're provisioned, with the phone SIM it's set up to use call & text service along with data. The broadband SIM is set up for data use only & is designed for use in broadband devices. 

I've checked on the coverage in & around the Ardmore area but don't see any reports of works affecting service in the area. With the broadband device you're using the TP-Link there's no troubleshooting I can do to investigate your speeds as it's not a Three device.