Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Prepay 5G - No service in Dublin (on Google Pixel 4A 5G)

johnmgn
Investigator

Prepay 5G - No service in Dublin (on Google Pixel 4A 5G)

Hi, I have a new Pixel 4A 5G phone and I have signed up with Three for the EUR 5 top up to get 5G. 

Last night I received an SMS from Three to confirm that the 5G add-on has been applied to my account.  However I am not receiving any 5G signal on my phone (only 4G/LTE).  I have been in several area of Dublin city today that should have 5G coverage.  The phone is set to "Preferred network type = 5G".

Can anyone help with this ?

Thanks, John

3 REPLIES 3
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@johnmgn Hi there, I've checked this out for you and our Devices team is working with the manufacturer of your phone type to enable it with 5G over the coming months so while it won't work at the minute on the Pixel 4A, feel free to pop back at any stage and we can check again for you 👌

Thanks for the reply @LauraH .  It's not your fault, but Three have misled customers by having a big 5G marketing roll-out while failing to prominently mention that not all brands of handset are supported.   From what I can see, Three's main 5G webpage doesn't notify customers and (more importantly) it's not highlighted when signing up for the 5G add-on !  It seems that Three management have a lot to learn about customer experience from the likes of Amazon.  But thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

I couldn't agree more. I just moved to Three to try out a 5G sim on my Pixel 4a(5G) and just found this thread. Unfortunately, I will have to cancel the contract. Three should've published a list of supported and unsupported devices.