Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Another SIM number with the 7th digit a 2 instead of a 5

SOLVED
Chrysanth
Connector

Another SIM number with the 7th digit a 2 instead of a 5

I'm helping my husband set up his new phone, and we can't activate the SIM because the 7th digit of its number is 2 instead of 5.  (It's not just us; someone here had the exact same problem not long ago, but it doesn't seem possible to include the link here).

The SIM in question is the one that Three enclosed with his new phone.

He's an existing Three customer, and wants to carry on with his existing Three prepay plan and phone number.  Old and new phones are both fromThree.  (Ex O2 customer, in case it matters).

When I couldn't remember (or find) the network setup sequence for phones, a Mod here advised simply moving the old SIM to the new phone.  Which would have been great if it had fitted in, but Doro now uses the micro size, and the old one is standard size, and not the type with smaller ones to push out (which the new SIM does have).  The small difference in width wasn't obvious until I tried it the other day; it was hard to see the slot in the new phone, which is more recessed (feels less likely to work loose).

We've left the new SIM in the new phone for now, but I made a note before we started of every number on the SIM and its packaging (none of which looks like the temporary phone number I've seen in the past; I don't know whether it's a generic SIM, or somehow connected to his account).

We can't 'return to our local store' as directed by My3 in this case (the nearest one is a day trip job, and he currently needs to not go out much, or be left alone for long, for medical reasons).

So what's the answer - sending a replacement SIM for his existing one (but the push-out type)?  Use the new one, somehow?  Anyone?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

@Chrysanth, I see your PM and you will need a SIM replacement that has 05 for sure. You can order one here Click get started and it will give the option to have a SIM posted out to you. I'm going to pop back to your PM too. 

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@Chrysanth how are you today? Going by what you are saying above, the SIM card number starts like this 8935302. This SIM type works with many of our plans. Have you tried a SIM replacement request online and it was rejected?

Can you tell me the name of your husband's prepay plan and can you check the SIM number on the back of his original SIM from his DORO? I have to warn you these numbers are tiny!

Fine thanks, Deborah.

Yes, that is what it starts with.

No, we haven:t tried a SIM replacement request.  All we've tried so far is attempting the SIM registration anyway (just in case the difference between numbers was down to a mistake on the web page).

We have an appointment this afternoon but I'll find those details later, once the phone isn't needed.

No problem with reading the (close vision still very good, especially with glasses off!).

@Chrysanth you lucky thing! Since working from home my close vision has gotten worse 👓 

Let me know the details later, via PM, and I'll double check on the system. 

PM sent with those details (and the usual ID ones).

The number on his SIM's got nothing on the customer care number on the back of my credit card.  That's even smaller, and white on pale grey, but the real stroke of genius was making the surface of the card sparkly! 

@Chrysanth, I see your PM and you will need a SIM replacement that has 05 for sure. You can order one here Click get started and it will give the option to have a SIM posted out to you. I'm going to pop back to your PM too. 

He ordered his replacement SIM via My3, 7 days ago.  Though that includes a long weekend, just wanted to check if it's too soon to think something might have gone awry?

The order appeared to go through ok, but he's had no email or other signs of porgress, and his recent order history in My3 is empty.  But maybe it's just not classed as an order because it's not a financial transaction?

No SIM in today's post either.

Anyone know if we get some sign of whether or not a replacement SIM order succeeded?  Or how long delivery is taking lately?

Can you shed any light on it, Deborah?

I know my husband's SIM problem has been more complicated than most, but we have no idea whether his replacement SIM order via My3 failed, or got lost in the post, or is simply taking a long time.

In case it helps, the final link in the ordering process simply took us back to a previous page; that was it.  (I think it was the opening page of his My3, though might be wrong).

The time I'm spending dealing with this business is holding up other urgent jobs, like getting  my own new phone in order tio carry on doing the online transactions for both of us.  And (long story,), having got his new phone set up will save a little time when researching mine.

@Chrysanth sorry to hear of all that! It's very strange that you haven't received the SIM yet as it normally takes 5 working days. From memory, we are definitely at that point right?