Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Calls saying they have a missed call from me

Cas_k23

Calls saying they have a missed call from me

I have been receiving calls from people saying they have a missed call from me but I have not called them. I look in my recent call list and I have no record of ringing them

8 REPLIES 8
Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @Cas_k23, Welcome to the 3Community πŸ™‚

I am aware that there is an ongoing scam at the moment whereby fraudsters are sending a high volume of scam calls into Ireland from international destinations. The fraudsters are masking the originating number from us, and using randomly generated numbers with ROI prefixes to trick others into answering these calls. It is assumed that people will be more likely to answer a call that looks like it’s coming from a familiar Irish prefix rather than the real international origin.  Numbers from all network prefixes including landline numbers have been spoofed in this scam.

Sometimes these randomly generated numbers match those of real mobile or landline numbers in Ireland and result in calls or missed calls looking like they have come from our customers phone. Unfortunately, if your number has been used in call spoofing there is no real action that can be taken however this doesn't mean that they would have access to your number or any information.

But if your number is being used a lot mine has been used loads over the last few months to lots of different people they are not just choosing radom numbers but reusing some of the numbers it's so annoying please report again 

Hi,

this is happening to me too, sometimes multiple calls a day!! Been going on since last October. I am answering and replying to texts, having to tell people to block my number as its a scam call.  Is there no way to solve this? 

Hey @Gem_82  , Welcome to the 3Community πŸ™‚

The fraudsters are masking the originating number from us, and using randomly generated numbers with ROI prefixes to trick others into answering these calls. It is assumed that people will be more likely to answer a call that looks like it’s coming from a familiar Irish prefix rather than the real international origin. This is affecting all networks and while changing the number would stop your number being used as a mask unfortunately there is no guarantee that it won't happen with the new number.

Andrea_27589
Novice

This has started happening go me. Was there anything you did to stop it can 3 help??

Hey @Andrea_27589, Welcome to the 3Community πŸ™‚

As fraudsters are masking the originating number from us, and using randomly generated numbers with ROI prefixes to trick others into answering these calls. It is assumed that people will be more likely to answer a call that looks like it’s coming from a familiar Irish prefix rather than the real international origin. This is affecting all networks and while changing the number would stop your number being used as a mask unfortunately there is no guarantee that it won't happen with the new number.

This has been happening to me incessantly. I’ve been telling people to block my number but surely that will comprise my number and profile? Can you please advise how it can be managed. Surely there is a way for the provider to protect our data. 

Hey @AC_63140 , The fraudsters are masking the originating number from us, and using randomly generated numbers with ROI prefixes to trick others into answering these calls. It is assumed that people will be more likely to answer a call that looks like it’s coming from a familiar Irish prefix rather than the real international origin. This is affecting all networks and while changing the number would stop your number being used as a mask unfortunately there is no guarantee that it won't happen with the new number. 

I can understand your concerns however I can assure you data would be secure and these fraudsters wouldn't have access to your data as they are randomly generating these numbers.