Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Can't receive texts from abroad

alanmccormack
Investigator

Can't receive texts from abroad

Hi, I am a Three prepay customer and I have just found out that I have not been receiving texts from abroad (specifically the UK) for the last 3 weeks (approx). Up until that point I sent and received all texts perfectly and have done for 20 years. Recently my Mum asked me why I've been ignoring her - I assured her that I wasn't, then yesterday my sister asked me why I hadn't replied to her texts, I told her that I haven't received a text from her in about 2 weeks. When I investigated and asked my Mum, brother and sister to send me a text yesterday not a single text got through to me.

I can send texts to them fine. It doesn't matter if they send me a new text or reply to a previous text, they just don't get to my phone. My phone is a 10 year old Nokia and I have made no changes to it or any of it's settings. Has anything changed in Three in the last 2 to 3 weeks? Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm at a loss.

16 REPLIES 16

Hi Alan, it is frustrating, especially as that is my way of communication with my folks between our skype calls.

couple of my friends tried to text me and my partner but no luck. everything was fine until April so not sure what happened then. we have huawei and xiaomi phones but didn't change them for the last 2 years so couldn't be our phones. 

Hi I have same problem rang 3 said no issues. Did you ever get it sorted

Hi, no, I'm afraid not. I still can't be sure if the issue lies with Three or with the UK mobile providers, or a combination of both. I still can't receive texts from some UK mobiles, so now I just tell them to send those texts to my wife's phone - who is also on Three - and they get through just fine, go figure!

@Shello-_1 @alanmccormack If you've both tried your SIM cards in other phones and are noticing the same thing then pop me a PM with your details (phone number, name, address and date of birth) as well as some examples of texts that have failed recently and I'll log an investigation with our tech team for you.

Hi Alan, I have exactly the same problem as you going back to August 2021. I have wasted hours and hours online with Three technical personnel online  and have ended up changing my phone and SIM but still no result. The worst part is I don't know the extent of the  texts I am missing other than from a friend in U.K. who has not been successful since last August. Other overseas friends and acquaintances could still be awaiting my response and think I have vanished off the face of the earth. I have decided I have no other option but to leave Three and tie up with another service supplier

ninab
Investigator

Hi Alan, 

i had the same problem since last April, couldn't receive text from Croatia. till then i was texting with my parents normally. from the 8th of March this year text came through normally, i was suprised and happy as i thought it was finally fixed. but it only lasted for 10 days. 😞 now again i can't receive any texts from Croatia. 

my parents are on different networks back home and it's not working. they rang their operators and said it's the problem with Ireland network, that it seems there is some kind of blockage.  so not sure what's the story here. three keeps telling me to try to send texts again and to report when the text didn't come through, did that on couple of times, said the problem is fixed but no luck.  i have changed the phone since then and again, nothing is happening. it is very frustrating to that point that i'm thinking of changing the network.

I unfortunately was left with no other option but to change service provider which I did and my new sim was activated today. I was immediately able to reopen a text conversation with my friend in the U.K. ending 9 months of utter frustration. I was sorry I had to take this path but all other avenues appeared to be exhausted.

Frank