Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Using eSIM abroad, 3 still charging me for roaming?

keith_1984

Using eSIM abroad, 3 still charging me for roaming?

I recently travelled around South America and purchased an eSIM to use there, It worked great and I specifically had my data pointed to be used via my eSIM only (this point is important)

I've just checked my bill and I see 3 have charged me on some days (but not all days..) for a roaming add-on that I had added to my account before I left, even though I categorically did not have data roaming switched on on my phone on those days,all data went through my eSIM. The data amounts on those days are very small, like 5KBs, how can this happen when my iPhone is specifically set up to only use the eSIM for data?

Very annoying! 

1 REPLY 1
Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @keith_1984 , Welcome to the 3Community 🙂

With the roaming day passes, your pass will only activate when you have connected to a network while you are abroad. I'd love to check the account here for you and I will need you to contact us via PM with your full name, mobile number, address and date of birth to investigate this further for you.

From the symptoms that you are describing, it sounds like Allow Cellular Data Switching has not been turned off meaning that our phone was allowed to switch between the two SIMs and this would also explain your Three SIM's connection to the network activating the Roaming Pass. This can be turned off by doing the following:

1. Go to Settings.
  2. Tap either Cellular or Mobile Data.
  3. Tap Cellular Data.
  4. Toggle off Allow Cellular Data Switching

As you're new to the Community you'll need to increase your rank to send PMs. You can increase your rank by commenting on posts, creating new posts, & kudos/liking comments. Once you rank up you'll get a message to notify you & you'll need to log out & back into the Community & you'll be able to PM us directly. Or if you'd prefer you can contact customer care on 1913 or by clicking here to chat to our messaging team.