Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Allow existing customers to upgrade from 4G to 5G broadband

Allow existing customers to upgrade from 4G to 5G broadband

I have been a Three Mobile Broadband customer for 9 years continuously but have just been told by Three Customer Services that I am not allowed to upgrade from 4G to 5G mobile broadband because 12 months of my current 24 month contract remain. I pointed out that it is in Three's business interests to allow existing customers to upgrade as Three will be increasing its income. It is also in the interests of customers to get a better service, for which they will be paying a higher monthly subscription.

When I called Three a year ago to check the facts on the existing 5G service, it transpired that there would be little or no benefit to me upgrading as I have excellent 4G LTE reception with download speeds of up to maximum 250mbps (normally 100-150mbps). Now that Three is offering 5G speeds of 500mbps max, it would now make sense to pay the extra and upgrade which it did not in 2022. But I am told I may not upgrade for another year.

I asked for the issue (of existing customers not being allowed to upgrade mid-contract) to be reviewed by a senior manager at Three, as it does not make business sense for the company nor does it make sense for customers. While the very helpful customer services agent said she would make a note of this on my account, I was told it would not be possible for anyone to get back to me about it.

What do other Three customers think?

6 Comments
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin
Status changed to: Investigating

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @HARA thanks so much for sharing this here on our Ideas Board. I know that this was previously asked click here to have a read, but I'd be happy to reach out to our Home broadband team with your Idea. As soon as I receive an update I'll let you know here.

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin
Status changed to: Declined

Hi there @HARA, thanks for allowing me the time to have your Idea investigated. 

I have received confirmation from our future development team that at this time we do not have any plans to introduce the ability for Customers on 4G broadband plans to 5G plans mid-contract. This is possibly something that will be looked at in the future but at the moment it is not on our roadmap

HARA

Hi Stacey, thanks for looking into this.

As declining to upgrade existing customers from 4G to 5G does not promote or improve the business interests of Three, and because it adversely affects mobile broadband users, particularly rural customers who wish to improve their service, I will run this past COMREG and see if it is an issue they wish to look at.

in the meantime, I suggest you request that the issue is escalated to a senior business manager at Three, as you are losing money as a result and your customers are excluded from availing of a better service.

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

I'll certainly pass along your feedback as requested @HARA 

HARA

By the way, the modest cost of a 4G modem would have easily been covered after one year of a two year contract. But if there was an issue of payments outstanding for a modem, a customer could simply be asked to pay the balance in order to upgrade to 5G. 

in that situation, Three would be better off from higher monthly subscriptions and existing customers would be getting a better service. So everyone gains. At the moment Three and existing customers both lose out.