Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Bandwidth prioritisation for mobile broadband customers

Bandwidth prioritisation for mobile broadband customers

13 Comments
threeisdown
Investigator

I am surprised that there is no bandwidth prioritisation for mobile broadband customers since we have way higher demand than the phone users with multiple devices in home. I also rely on it for working from home.

But, it is showing the internet speed is 50% slower during the day and evening than after midnight or early morning after my countless Speedtest during different times of the day.

All the tests conducted on Fast.com always using the same server.

Client   Dublin, IE   (IP address)   Three
Server(s) Dublin, IE  |  CityWest Business Camous, IE

This screenshot shows it can get up to 1.2 Gbps at early morning which not many people are using the network.

threeisdown_0-1709301787495.jpeg

However, it’s only around 400 Mbps during afternoon when the demand is high.

threeisdown_1-1709301787437.jpeg

I strongly request Three IE to prioritise bandwidth and speed to broadband users since the higher price we pay and more devices we connected to. 

Three IE can easily adjust this with the SIM numbers we are using.

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @threeisdown, thanks for posting your idea here. As you are using mobile broadband, you receive coverage through a radio-based signal, what this means is that there's no constant set speed that you can get & your speeds are likely to fluctuate depending on a number of factors. 

From looking at the screenshots I can see that when the connection drops to the lower of the two speeds you are still receiving strong speeds however I will pass this suggestion on to the team.

threeisdown
Investigator

Thank you @Three_Niall . I would appreciate any updates from the network team. Your parent company, Hutchison in Hong Kong is using the same MC801A or even newer version MC888 now - https://web.three.com.hk/handsets/zte/mc888/spec-en.html and they are able to prioritise the needs for mobile broadband customers.

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Thanks @threeisdown as soon as I have any more information on the above I will pop back here to this thread. From personal experience the Broadband routers are designed to be able to accept and then produce higher speeds compared to the speeds that may be received by a mobile device however as soon as I have any updates I will pop back here to you. 

hphone
Novice

My mobile broadband is simply awful since I moved to 5g 

The signal drops now at least 3 times a week for periods of 10 tp 30 mins. I work primarily teaching on zoom and find it an untenable solution.  

It is hard to find a way out of contract too, as even though three have not fulfilled the promise of good speed and consistency, they have a contract that seems to be fixed for them. 

Perhaps a customer coalition to put some pressure on would be the way to go?

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @hphone, I can see here that you have posted on a separate thread with a similar query and I have responded to you there also. I'd be happy to help you with this query but I will need you to pop through to me us here on PM along with your full name, broadband number, address and date of birth so we can validate the account and check this out for you. 

threeisdown
Investigator

@hphone I agree customer coalition to put some pressure on Three IE would be the only way to go.

threeisdown
Investigator

@hphone 

click the star at the top (if you're using desktop) for more upvote on this idea please

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin
Status changed to: Investigating

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin
Status changed to: Declined

Hey @threeisdown, I have passed this on to the relevant team and at the moment we do not have any plans to separate phone and broadband bandwidths.

Relating to your question on varying speeds, as you receive coverage through a radio-based signal, your speeds are likely to fluctuate depending on a number of factors. The network team dimensions the capacity of the network for the busy period, and this results in superior speeds in quiet periods. This would be similar to driving on a motorway at night time and then being alarmed when there is traffic on the motorway during rush hour traffic.

From reviewing the speeds that you have posted here during the day, I can see that you are receiving very good speeds and these speeds meet the minimum recommended speeds for popular services.