Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

ESIM Rollout

ESIM Rollout

Hi

Vodafone Ireland have recently started issuing ESims in ROI.  I think Three should follow suit soon, handsets such as iPhone only allow dual sim using one of these

455 Comments
NFH
Investigator
Investigator

After Three UK spent most of 2021 tweeting that eSIM would be relaunched by the end of 2021, and subsequently spent most of 2022 tweeting that SIM would be relaunched by the end of 2022, Three UK suddenly this week started promising eSIM instead in 2023. I'm convinced that Three's eSIM rollout in Ireland and the UK are closely linked for the reasons I've already explained above.

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

@Browni Apologies for missing your last post. With the Idea's Board, we do provide updates when they are given to us. Currently, we only have a timeframe of 2023 for the rollout of eSIMs. Testing is still ongoing & there's no new information/news. As always once we get more information it'll be shared with everyone on this board. 

Browni

@NFH 

Such information does not make me more confident that there will be a roll out in 2023!

What saddens me about the whole thing is why Three ROI seems to have such protracted problems.
There is no need to reinvent the wheel.

Other providers already use eSIM's!

Actually copy & paste and a corresponding adjustment should be possible.

I'm afraid you simply overslept this development and don't want to admit it!

Torbell

I definitely agree with you @Browni …. What’s even more disappointing is that Three themselves support eSIM in several other countries. What makes Ireland so different? 

This is something so simple that should have launched years ago. eSIM has been discussed since at least the iPhone XS, 4 years ago.

Come on, Three. Get it together and push eSIM out already. 

NFH
Investigator
Investigator

As I suggested above, I believe that for both Three Ireland and Three UK, eSIM is dependent on and part of new infrastructure that a third party is implementing for Three. I believe that Three UK's bungled launch of eSIM in September 2020 revealed that Three is incapable of implementing eSIM without assistance from a third party infrastructure provider.

Browni

@Torbell do you know in which countries Three eSIM's have been rolled out? I would be interested in that.

@NFH The eSIM's have been standardized since 2016 and since then every provider has known the requirements for operation with eSIM's.

So here Three cannot evade responsibility and should show their colors.

Three is leaving their customers out in the rain.

I just hope the Three doesn't make any differences between contract and prepaid customers.

As already mentioned, I hope that Three will finally be a bit more communicative and finally provide customers with more specific information.

Toryb
Investigator

@Browni Three Hong Kong, Three Sweden, Three Italy, Three Austria to name a few.

Three UK has had eSIM in beta since 2020. Three Ireland has never launched a beta, as far as I’m aware. They claimed they’d launch eSIM “soon” but it has been ages and they still haven’t launched this simple feature…

NFH
Investigator
Investigator

@TorybI wouldn't describe Three UK's eSIMs as a beta. Three UK tested eSIM in June and July 2020, and then launched it publicly in September 2020. Three UK quickly withdrew eSIM in October 2020, retrospectively saying that the public launch in September 2020 had been only a "trial", contrary to its own comments at the time of the launch. Three UK then promised that eSIM would be relaunched very soon, but this failed to materialise. For most of 2021, Three UK promised eSIM in 2021. For most of 2022, Three UK promised eSIM in 2022. This never materialised. There was no beta, just a botched public launch, which was subsequently withdrawn, followed by hundreds of misleading tweets by Three UK for more than two years.

While I criticise Three UK for this, as a customer of both Three Ireland and Three UK, I notice a massive difference between each entity's social media teams. Unlike Three UK, Three Ireland's social media team is really helpful and doesn't mislead its customers. Three UK doesn't even have any forum like this.

Browni

@Torybthanks for your hint!

It certainly speaks for Three ROI that they at least try to keep the customers on track and informed about the state of affairs, but what speaks against doing your own thing and if Three UK can't get it going just Three ROI goes their own way and Three UK can learn a bit.

In my opinion, ROI in particular offers the opportunity to set up a good, small and manageable eSIM scenario and learn from it.

I hate to repeat myself, but eSIM's are not rocket science and do not need to be reinvented!

According to rumours ROI's regulators have their fingers in the pie too, delaying the matter with pending regulations!

Does anyone know if there is anything to it?

Oluwaseyi

Any update with the E-SIM yet?