Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Three Ireland needs "Go Roam" like Three UK is offering

Three Ireland needs "Go Roam" like Three UK is offering

Three UK has a feature called "Go Roam." In many destinations around the world, Three UK charges £5 per day to roam as you would at home. This means you can use your data, calls, and text as normal.

Three Ireland on the other hand, does not offer any reasonable international roaming rates. As an example, if you're roaming in the US with Three Ireland, you'll pay €5 for only 500mb of data. You'll pay €1.41 per minute to make a call, €2.02 to receive a call, and 35c per text. If you don't opt for the minuscule 500mb of data, you'll pay €6.15 per MEGABYTE of data. This is terrible in 2022, and shocking that Three Ireland still charge such absurd rates.

Even Three Sweden offers roaming in 80 countries for free with many plans.

It would be great if Three Ireland could offer "Go Roam" similar to Three UK, so we didn't have to sell an arm and a leg just to roam abroad.

4 Comments
Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired
Status changed to: Investigating

@Torbell Hi there & thanks for posting on our idea's Board. I've had a look at Three UK's 'Go Roam' service.

Looking at the list of countries a lot of them are European countries that are already included in Three Irelands plan allowances. As the UK is no longer part of the EU they have had to create allowances for their customers where as Three Ireland bill pay & prepay plans already include allowances for calls, texts, & data.

We do as you already mentioned offer add-ons/boosters for calls & data outside of Europe.

I will pass along your idea to relevant team in regards to our roaming service while outside of the EU & will pop back to you here once I have any further update.

I've changed the status of the Idea to 'Investigating'. 

Torbell

Thanks @Three_Shane1

Three UK’s ‘Go Roam’ service does cover all of the EU (26 countries), but also an additional 45 countries. You can use your phone around the world for £5/day (£2/day in the EU) in a total of 71 countries.

A major benefit is that it covers major countries not in Europe, and it also works on pay as you go/prepaid plans.

Three Ireland doesn’t offer a good roaming option on prepay when out of the EU, but there’s a great opportunity to.

Also look at the competition. Vodafone IE has great international roaming daily rates on both bill pay and prepay plans with their ‘Red Roaming’ which costs €2.99/day or €3.99/day depending on the plan. This works in 70 countries outside of Europe and includes unlimited calls & texts to the country you’re roaming in and back to Ireland, as well as 500mb of data per day. Full details here: https://n.vodafone.ie/roaming.html#red-roaming.html

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired
Status changed to: Accepted

@Torbell Good News! There are plans to introduce new roaming add-ons that will give a better data allowance and also reduce the out-of-bundle charges. 

I'm moving your Idea to 'Accepted' from 'Investigating'. It's super important to note that being moved to 'Accepted' is not an indicator of an immediate response, we do not have a timeline for these works right now, we will update this Idea again as we find out more.

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired
Status changed to: Delivered

@Torbell I've changed the status of your Idea to 'Delivered' as our roaming team has just launched two new Roaming Passes.

Both passes cost €3.99 per day but give you free local calls, free calls back to Ireland, & 1GB of data. Any out-of-bundle data usage will be charged at .06c per MB. 

Check out this link for more details on the day passes.