Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G Speeds varying from minute to minute

Peter_50553
Investigator

5G Speeds varying from minute to minute

I live in Ballaghadereen, Co Roscommon which according to the coverage map has a 5G mast in the town. As I have no fibre broadband, nor a prospect of any in the immediate future I depend on my phone for streaming. Speeds can reach 10mbps but are often barely 1.5mbps. Currently 4.5mbps. This makes streaming very difficult and unreliable. 

Why is there such variation in the signal when I am live so close to the mast?

7 REPLIES 7
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Welcome to 3Community @Peter_50553 and thanks for reaching out to us. I'd like to help you here but need more info. 

Can you tell me what type of phone you have and are your calls/texts affected or only data that is affected?  Also, do you notice the dip in speed at the same time each day or does it vary?

Hi - it's a Galaxy S21 5G.

The reduction in speed is completely random but quite frequent, 3 or 4 times an hour. Texts and calls are unaffected

Thanks for answering @Peter_50553, doe this only happen at your home or does it happen everywhere you go?

Have you tried switching from 5G to 4G? Do you experience the same thing?

I checked the speed in Ballaghadereen town this morning - extremely fast, almost 90 mbps. Currently achieving 1.81 mbps at home.

Is there anything I can do to boost the signal in and around the house?

I would recommend going to the link here and manually selecting the network to check if this improves the connection indoors

Alternatively, you can try resetting your connection to the network by following the steps below.

Select Settings.
Select Wireless & networks. 
Select Mobile network. 
Select Access Point Names (APNs)
Select the Menu button. 
Select Reset to default.

After attempting these if you are still facing difficulties with the speeds in the location I recommend contacting our dedicated customer care team on 113 who will be able to raise this with the Technical Team for you.

Thanks Niall. Neither method makes any noticeable difference to the speed. I'll try and contact the customer care team.