Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G broadband very slow in the evenings

KrauseMichal
Investigator

5G broadband very slow in the evenings

Hi, i have problem with my three broadband. In the evenings, between 8 to 11pm connection is baerly usable. During the day is fast, and super fast in the nights and early mornings, i have no problems to reach over 200mbits. I am about 8km from two masts. I discovered that signal quality drops in the evenings, from 23 to 13-15db.i have zte mc801a hub installed in the attic, against the roof.

Is there anything i can do to improve stability of connection in the evening?.Yours 4g is always fast, regardless of the time of the day,but is not as good for online gaming due to higher pings than 5g

5g

Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-51-13-970_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

4g

Screenshot_2023-11-17-21-51-48-552_org.zwanoo.android.speedtest.jpg

signal quality 

Screenshot_2023-11-17-22-01-06-139_com.brave.browser.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
soeren_51426
Investigator

don't expect any help from three support. they will ask for your whole account details before they tell you to ask some hotline which deals with unrelated stuff.

if you can, move your modem to the outside, your roof might shield the signal or there are too many users during that time. 

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @KrauseMichal  , Welcome to the 3Community 🙂

If you don't have the devices that you are using in the attic then firstly I would recommend bringing the device out of the attic. The reason that I would recommend this is to have the devices that you are using in a close proximity to the router. Once you have this done I would recommend testing this at the times above to see if this has helped improve the connection.

Hi Niall

I Have second router in bridge mode to spread wifi and lan downstairs. Job of zte hub is only to receive signal.

Quality of my connection during the day is brilliant, this morning i had over 200mbits down and 50up. Just the evenings are a problem, speeds goes down as well a signal strength, from 23db to 13-15.

I'd love to look into this further for you however I just need to gather some information from you. Can you pop through to me here on PM along with your broadband number, address and date of birth so I can check the account? 

Alternatively can you confirm if this was a 5G Broadband Gold package that was installed by the technical team or was this a receiver that you purchased and installed yourself?

Silver, self install package

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

The ZTE mc801a hub is a wifi modem meaning that it receives the connection and then you can also connect other devices to the modem without the need for a second router so I would recommend replacing the router downstairs with the ZTE mc801a hub that is in the attic and then testing the speeds.

I can't really take my zte modem from attic as its the only one spot im getting full 5g signal. All what im asking is why my speeds drops drastically between certain hours of the day. I understand there is a congestion, but 4g stays on nearly the same speeds all day

The reason that your speeds can change is because you receive coverage through a radio-based signal, what this means is your speeds are likely to fluctuate depending on a number of factors. I would also recommend rebooting the router regularly as this can also help with performance. I understand that you are also hesitant about moving the device from the attic however another option that I would also recommend is moving the router to different areas of the house to test in which area you are receiving the best speeds to help boost your connection.

once you're out of contract upgrade to the broadband gold which has an external modem/antenna. it's definitely better than any indoor unit even if it's high up in your house. maybe three gives you options to upgrade your existing contract if mobile broadband is the only option for you to get fast internet it would be worth asking.