Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G Broadband - Disappointed so far. Can you help ?

SOLVED
Add_14071
Investigator

5G Broadband - Disappointed so far. Can you help ?

Hi,

We used to be on 4G with 3 for years and was very happy with what we were getting. Constant speed, reliable, and nice enough speed. 

we got a 5G router installed on Tuesday - and so far it is a huge disappointment. The installer was very competent, tested the reception of the ZTE MC7010 - and was happy that we were in an area where the reception was good. ( he mentioned we needed over 100 to go with the install, and measured 180 - not sure what he was measuring exactly ) 

He used our old SIM in the new router. 

Speed test : so far, during the day, the max we are getting is 40Mbps download, but it's very up and down. right now i am getting 30 down, 15 up - while i am getting 40 on my phone on 4G. 

In the evening - we are getting much much worse where we see 3, 4, 5 mpbs download speed !

Honestly, I was expecting much better, right now this is a downgrade from our 4G connection. 

We have contacted the support Thursday evening - this was escalated but no one came back to us yet. 

is it a Sim card issue - does it need to be change ? is our account allow for 5G or are we stuck on 4G ? 

Please help.

23 REPLIES 23

Thank you, we have carried more troubleshooting and there is discussions to send an engineer. 

- we tried the sim card in a phone and we receive 5G, with over 100Mb download speeds - so it seems the SIM is ok, as well as our location

Hi the problem is in Threes firmware of the mc7010 unit it was kind of admitted by one of tech support guys after them running me in circles with blaming everything from signal strenght to the modems position.sad news is though that three does not have new firmware for it there is some available directly from manufacturer but i have so far failed to flash the unit with manufacturers v2 firmware.lots of people in places like Finland and Poland were experiencing the same issues on v1 firmware.do you mind logging into your modem and see what firmware are you on?

that would made a lot sense - as i am in a 5G area, my sim receives 5G, my account is right, the installer tested the 5g reception in the location  ... but to this day i can see from the admin page than the MC7010 has never connected the 5G network. 

I checked, i have the V1 - H3G_GB_MC7010DV1.0.0B09. ( GB ? ) 

on a side note we were expecting someone coming this week, and no! they are coming in the 13th of october. ( we placed our order the 19th of August, and are worse off than we were on 4G !)

Can maybe 3 check if you can release an updated firmware before then ? 

Yes thats the same firmware i am on GB most likely means great britian and i read the other three have actually admitted the problem with the firmware and that they are working on it.engineer most wont be able to help you as it is not signal issue.have you checked your modem stats under advanced then other then network information?does yours keep switching between band B1 then B28 both are 4g and the band N3 which is 5g?

it changes between B20, B20 + B3, B1 +  B20 + B3 --  which does reflect what we experience. 4G goes up and down. 

5G never, ever connects. 

The firmware id definitely bugged on them i have another 4g router with prepay sim on the same window sill 2 inches apart 

4g-160 down/35 up

5g-95 down/35 up

It is an absolute joke if i put the unit on the outside wall right beside that window it would drop connection within 10 minutes usually 

exactly the same here - my huawei 4G router is rock solid. the outside wall unit is all over the place, and drops completely at time. 

Surprisingly, we had some 5G today for a couple of hours. It was rock solid while it lasted - and now we are back to substandard 4G. 

I went and got a second hand huawei pro 3 from eir and surprise surprise no more drop outs and the connection is rock solid.so the