Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Accessing the 3G network from an iPhone SE 3rd Gen?

SeanMac
Connector

Accessing the 3G network from an iPhone SE 3rd Gen?

Hi,

upgraded from an iPhone 8 to an iPhone SE 3rd gen 5G phone. One thing I can't seem to do, unlike the iPhone 8, is manually access the 3G network in areas where 4G/5G coverage is poor. I can only switch between 5G auto/5G on/4G. See diagram below. Even when I manually select Three's 3G network, the phone will remain on 3G for only a short time before reverting to 4G. See diagram below. Just wondering has Three configured their sim cards to allow 4G/5G access only on their 4G/5G phones?

Image (2).jpegImage (1).jpeg

12 REPLIES 12
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hey @Sean_C thanks for posting here! There wouldn't be a block on the account stopping you from connecting to 3G specifically, once you have selected to connect to either 5G or 4G in the above settings, your phone will automatically connect to the best network available and this would include 3G if 4G is not available. 

If you are unable to connect to 3G in the settings I would recommend going into your settings to make sure that you are using the most up to date iOS version to make sure you are viewing the most recent settings.

Hi Stacey,

I'm on ios 17 which would be the most up to date version for my iphone. It seems you can't manually select 3G with this model.

@SeanMac I just checked my own iPhone 14 and I have the same as you. I've had a look online and it seems that Apple has decided to remove the 3G preference option. 

Thanks Stacey. I have an O2 UK sim card as well. I might pop it in later to see if it changes the voice & data menu. If it does i'll post another screen shot here.

Well, I popped in the O2 UK sim card into my iphone and this is the voice & data menu I received (screenshot below). The option to manually select 2G and 3G has been added. It seems that it's not the phone that determines this but the carrier. Wondering therefore why Three would restrict manual access to it's 3G network when other networks don't?

IMG_0708.jpeg

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

@SeanMac I've reached out to our devices team about this, and they've just come back to me. They've confirmed the handset is designed to get the best quality of service possible, if there is no 4G / 5G coverage the device will automatically choose the best next available (3G). This means that if the 3G signal is strongest it will use 3G, if 4G / 5G is strongest it will prioritise that. You'd see the same menu when using the O2 UK sim in the UK. 

The reason you can see 3G in the menu while roaming is due to international roaming agreements which require all networks to be displayed.

Thanks for that Stacey. Interesting re networks and roaming and the need to display all available networks. I live near the border with Northern Ireland. Will be up there tomorrow so will try the O2 SIM card again when on the O2 network to see what I get.

Ok, was up in Northern Ireland earlier and used my O2 UK simcard on the O2 network. Screenshots below of the voice & data menu. You can manually select the 3G & 4G networks when on O2. So I would say this is a carrier setting and nothing to do with the phone. Shouldn’t Three make its 3G network manually accessible in a similar way if it has no plans to close it?

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0726.jpeg

Hey @SeanMac, thanks for popping back to us here, I have checked here on other devices excluding Apple and the opportunity to select 3G only is available on these devices and the settings that appear on your screen would be determined by Apple. The options displayed on the device are set by Apple as I can assure you Three continues to make 3G available.

I have spoken to the relevant team here who have confirmed that this setting will only allow customers to put the device into 2G / 3G mode only – which limits all other radio technology and it does not mean that you will be unable to receive 2G or 3G as the handset is designed to get the best quality of service possible.