Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

What's the story with 5G broadband?

gijoe50000
Investigator

What's the story with 5G broadband?

So, I have the B525 4G modem, since about January, and I'm wondering what's the story with 5G?

I know this modem doesn't support it, but:

When will 5G be available for broadband?

Can I upgrade to a 5G/modem when it becomes available? Or do I have to stick out the whole 2 year contract on 4G?

Will it cost the same?

Will 4G speeds improve on evenings and weekends when 5G becomes widespread?

Or (god forbid) will it get worse?

At the moment 4G is a joke in the evenings due to congestion; averaging about 1.6Mbps.

3 REPLIES 3
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@gijoe50000 Good morning 👋 Thanks so much for posting about 5G, we're very excited about it here on 3Community. To answer your questions:

• We're going to be rolling out 5G to broadband customers in the near future so stay tuned.
  • If you are due an upgrade (usually 3 months before the end of your contract) you will get a reduction on a new modem. If you're not due an upgrade you can pay the Prepay price if you'd like to get the modem ASAP.
  • Details on pricing will be released closer to the launch date
  • 5G will have no impact on 4G speeds

I've also replied to your other post over here regarding your 4G speeds 👍

Thanks for the reply.

Will it also require a new sim for 5G?

Will it require a new contract? Or just continue on the same contract?

And, could I purchase a modem elsewhere or would it have to be the 3 modem?

The few 5G modems that are out there at the moment seem to be quite expensive, generally about €400..

@gijoe50000 At the moment, the finer details are being ironed out so I can't answer those questions right now. As soon as we have more info we'll be posting on the Community so keep your eyes peeled 😉