Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

€2 Daily Pass for Legacy Plans

Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

€2 Daily Pass for Legacy Plans

Hello 3Community,

We have some customers who are on legacy plans that do not include All You Can Eat Data. When data usage is detected the €2 Daily Pass is activated. This €2 is for usage of up to 200MB per day and usage over 200MB is charged at €1.01 per MB. 

Here on 3Community our members have switched off mobile data and followed the checklist below;

1. All mobile data off
  2. Wifi Assist and iCloud and Google sync/similar is off
  3. Push notifications are switched off
  4. GPS location switched off
  5. No MMS sent or received
  6. No long SMS ( wrapped to MMS send/receive)
  7. Automatic updates switched off
  8. Turn off background app refresh
  9. No external devices linked to your phone ( MiBand, FitBit, Smartwatch)
  10. No subscription text that contains bitly links

If you have received notification of this charge, let us know the time, date, and amount of data used, along with the type of phone you are using. Please comment below.

85 REPLIES 85

Why do you keep this thing going?? It's of no advantage to any customer- is
it really that far beyond your control?

@2handsinthetill wrote:
Why do you keep this thing going?? It's of no advantage to any customer- is
it really that far beyond your control?

As to why they keep it going - that a pretty easy one to answer!! 

It is a fantastic way for them to bring in money from mainly unsuspecting customers. 
My mother, myself and my husband were all caught out on this... eh.. let's call it a 'feature'

Of course they could stop it - you don't hear of this issues from the other providers.  

My advice is to take it on the chin - it's not worth the hassle to try and get the money back. 

Hi Deborah,

Not a problem. I can't recall if this has happened before, I know I lost credit before due to location switched on but that was a year or so ago. It eats through credit if you're not careful. I've had this phone since December 2018 I think and I can't recall this (Daypass) happening before or on another phone.

Kind Regards

Dylan

@Dylan_07363 thanks for that. I suppose you've looked into different plan options so would you be interested in applying a data block? If you need mobile data on your account again, you could reach out to us here or get in contact with Customer Care to remove the block. If this is okay, please send me a PM with your details > name, number, address and date of birth.

Hi Deborah,

A data block will effect some apps on the phone and the phone as well. This really won't fix the problem as my use of the phone and apps might be limited or cause problems with the usage of some apps.

This is a problem for the 3 Network which is effecting the user(s) across the network and needs to be rectified internally as I don't think changing plans will help me. I doubt I'll put credit on my phone again or until I get another notice to put credit on my phone within 30 days or I'll lose my number. 😉

I'd like to thank you for your help in this matter and hope the 3 Network will fix this problem in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Dylan

@Dylan_07363 I understand your concerns, however, the data block applies to your SIM and Three account and not your phone or apps. It is something to consider. Feel free to PM me if you change your mind. 

@Mairie_08425 what I gather from your posts is that you've had the data block applied. Most of our legacy plans have a limited amount of data allowance or not at all. The €2 Daily Pass is triggered by a data connection no matter how small. The daily pass was put in place years ago to prevent further charging. The pass has 200MB for €2, which was a great price back in the day. Without it, the cost is €1.01 per MB. Times have change ( I know) and technology has moved on really fast, this is why we'd recommend our All You Can Eat Plans. If you'd like me to have a look at your account, please pop me a PM 👍

Hi Deborah,

I do appreciate your message, and for the record, I don't hold a grudge against the support staff - I understand that your position can't be easy dealing with difficult customers (like myself) who object to these dubious charges. 

But, the simple fact remains that Three continue to charge customers unnecessarily for this '€2 Daily Pass'.

The argument is not whether it is good value or not - but rather that many customers are getting charged this despite having their mobile data switched off. 

I am aware that three provide a "comprehensive" checklist (10 points the last time I checked) to make sure that all potential sources of data are switched off - but my impression is that this is just a way to justify these charges.  

This honestly seem to me to be a ruse to 'convince' customer to switch plans as per your sales pitch in the previous message:-

"this is why we'd recommend our All You Can Eat Plans"

None of the other providers continue to charge data when mobile data is switched off - and that is on Three to sort out, not the customers. 

Like I mentioned previously, I have neither the energy or desire to get into an discussion/argument here. I merely posted the previous message to make it more transparent to other customers what the 'game' is. The easiest solution for me is to block the mobile data completely - I can manage fine on wifi until Three sort this issue out or until I move to a different provider.  

Thank you again for your message Deborah. 

Has this been sorted out?

No, I pay for data every month-it works out cheaper than having my
available credit cherry picked for 2eur for no valuable reason.
This topic is shameless-clearly there is a lot of people ignorant to this
'feature' and don't know where all there credit is going.
Cash grab.

No end insight. 3's only solution is "data block" as my latest credit Daypass cash grab was on 10th February. I won't be topping up this number until I receive a notification that will give me 30 days to top up or I'll lose this number and I'll let it die. I'll move to Vodafone. It's 3's version of a 'Surprise Mechanic.' 😉