Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

A week of outages - planned works, faults, or a mixture?

Chrysanth
Connector

A week of outages - planned works, faults, or a mixture?

(This was the only forum that seemed relevant, as it's been with both phone and broadband).

Two of us in this house, with a mobile phone each, and a Three broadband SIM in our own router (all on Prepay).

On Thursday (12th), our broadband went down around 10am, and we also found the phone signal had vanished.  (In both phones at once, like all the subsequent events). 

Phone signal (but not broadband) came back around 11am (so I hastily did some topping up via phone, as it was our topup day!).  Then it went off again about 11.30, and came back in late afternoon.  Then the broadband came back about 7pm.

It's been a similar story since, except that both phone and internet have been working all today (as far as we've noticed).

No settings etc have been changed at our end (in recent months, anyway).  And it can't be lack of credit (the topups of both the router and my phone were confirmed at the time, and Husband's phone just gets topped up whenever credit's getting low, which it wasn't).  And the signals seem to get restored when it's getting a bit dark for outdoor work.

What I'd basically like to know is if these problems have now passed. (It's not a time we'd have chosen to keep abruptly going incommunicado, what with switching from Ulster Bank and other ongoing things).

Someone who knows about comms remarked that Three had recently put up a new mast in/near a town about 10km away, in the same direction as we point our phones to improve the signal (though O2/Three were never able to locate our mast when investigating our weak signal).

What I find puzzling is that our broadband mast is about 6 km in the opposite direction.  (Maybe a wide area needs shutting down around a mast with work going on?)

I don't know the names of these masts (or any, come to that), but have looked in the Planned Works blog/schedule, and found only one entry anywhere near our area, with one location that might extend to only about 8km from us (towards our presumed phone mast).  But the planned start of that entry was 4 days after our outages started.

Any ideas?

2 REPLIES 2
Three_James
3 Moderator

Hi Chrysanth! Thanks for contacting us here. I'd be more than happy to check out your area and see what's happening so we can get to the bottom of this. Let me know your Eircode and I'll take a look then. If you'd prefer to DM the address, that's no problem either! 

Eircode sent by PM - thanks.

Phone and internet have both been working all today as well, though (as far as I know, with being out this afternoon), so maybe the problem has passed.  It could still be useful to know the names and/or location names of our masts, if possible.  It would make it easier to find updates/report problems.  (I don't know many of the placenames, even locally, but given a name I can always look up where it is).