Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Repeatedly charged for iMessage activation

NFH
Investigator
Investigator

Repeatedly charged for iMessage activation

When activating iMessage or FaceTime on an iPhone, the iPhone sends an SMS to Apple's iMessage/FaceTime activation server, which has a variety of mobile numbers at which it receives SMS. Most networks, including Three, do not charge for SMS sent to these numbers, because the SMS is not explicitly sent by the user but the SMS is hidden and largely outside the user's control. This zero-charging policy applies whether or not the user has a plan.

In the past, Apple's iMessage/FaceTime activation server had only +44 numbers in the United Kingdom for users everywhere. I have noticed that Apple has introduced Irish nubmers for its iMessage/FaceTime activation server, for example 086 xxx xxxx, but Three is charging for SMS sent to this number, probably because it is not yet on Three's charge exemption list.

Three customer services has refunded the 7 x €0.20 that I was incorrectly charged, but they don't know how to add this new number to the charge exemption list for iMessage/FaceTime activation. Please could this be done to prevent future charges?

3 REPLIES 3
Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @NFH, I'd love to have a look into this further for you to get some clarification on what is happening and pass this on to the relevant team however I am going to need you to pop through to me here on PM along with your mobile number affected, full name, full address and date of birth so I can check the account and gather the information to pass it onto the team for you. 

This happened again yesterday - another €0.20 deducted from my balance. @Three_Niall Is there any progress on preventing these charges?

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @NFH, I have passed these examples on to the relevant team who are continuing to investigate this further and once I have an update I will pop back here.