Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Webtext stripping line feeds in sent messages

PGargan
Investigator

Webtext stripping line feeds in sent messages

Hi,

Messages sent using Webtext are having line feeds removed with no warning. Sending a message such as:

This is line 1.

Here is line 2.

... results in a text that reads:

This is line 1.Here is line 2.

Watching the form submission in the browser shows a payload such as:

message=This+is+line+1%0D%0A%0D%0AHere+is+line+2

So it's definitely sending the URL-encoded line feed sequence, albeit with a Windows representation (0D 0A)

I've no idea how long it's been happening for. Tested against iPhone (latest iOS) and a generic Nokia-brand dumb phone

Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

@PGargan I have spoken to the webtext team and they have confirmed that they are currently looking at a solution for the character issues that you have highlighted,. At the moment I don't have a definitive timeline in place as to when this will go live. I will be keeping a close on this and as soon as I have confirmation I'll post it here for you.

Hi @Three_Stacey ,

Just checking in on this ... Webtext still can't send newlines, or commas, or quotation marks. They're just silently discarded, meaning the recipient just receives a wall of text without paragraph breaks or punctuation.

Hi @PGargan, yes the team are still working on the special characters. I'm keeping a close eye on this and as soon as I have an update I'll post it here  for you. 

Hi @Three_Stacey,

It's now been over 2 months since this was reported, and 2 weeks since your post above.

With respect, I'm struggling to understand how it can take 2 months to revert a code change. It was working fine before February 2024. Indeed, it was working fine for years before that, all the way back to the O2 era. One presumes the webtext portals of all the other CK Hutchison subsidiaries across Europe are working fine too. So why is it taking the Three Ireland team so long to fix this?

I appreciate situations like these must be frustrating for you as a front-line rep who has no power to actually fix anything. And I've no doubt the community here appreciates how promptly you reply to posts. But I beg you: please don't just respond with another generic "we're working on it" placeholder. Those make it sound like Three either doesn't know how to fix this, or simply can't be bothered to. Neither is a good look.

Thanks,

Paul.