Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Credit Expiry from December 2020 clarification

muffinhead
Investigator

Credit Expiry from December 2020 clarification

I received this text earlier today:

From Three. CONTRACT CHANGE - Please note, effective from 1 December 2020, top up credit will expire after 180 days. Any unused credit will expire after this time unless another top up is applied to extend the expiration date by another 180 days. If you don't accept this change, you have the right to cancel your prepay service within 30 days of this notice without penalty on or before 23 November 2020. Find out more on this change and how to cancel see 3.ie/change.

I'm on the Prepay Golden Sim plan, active since the O2 days, I'm assuming it is classed as a BeFree plan with regards to this post?

If so, and I refuse to accept the term changes regarding the credit expiry, can I request a refund of my existing credit? How would I arrange this?

31 REPLIES 31

Hi. So I had two numbers with the credit expiry 17/08/2021. Yesterday they showed still one day to the expiry but today they both have zero credit. How can you explain this? Thanks.

@two Can you tell me, did you see the expiry date in My3 on the 16th? From what you are saying, the credit did indeed expire on the advised date of 17/08/2021. When you say your balance is now zero, was the credit that was due to expire on the 17th the only credit on your numbers? If so, then yes, your balance would be zero on the 17th. Let me know if there was more than the credit due to expire on your account.

My3 shows time in days and dates, so checking your expiry date the day before, in this case on the 16th, it would say one day to expiry because the 17th is the next day.

I saw it online in my Three account but I didn't make a screenshot. You previously suggested that the expiry time on the expiry date is 23:59:59 but it looks like this wasn't the case here and it was rather 00:00:00. I don't understand what you mean by "the only credit on your numbers". 

two
Investigator
Investigator

Sorry, so what we're going to do with this situation? Your advertised expiry seems wrong, the credit expires earlier that you say, and you do nothing to correct it?

@two The expiry that's displayed on your My3 account is correct. If we use the example of the plan expiring on the 17/08, when you checked it on the 16th it would show as one day left for expiry.  When you checked on your My3 account on the 17th it would have shown that zero days were left. The expiry time is always 23:59:59, once the plan expires you're then into the next day the 18th with no plan activated. 

If no plan is activated but you have your mobile data active you'll be charged for the data service, this charge will then come from the remaining credit balance if you have any available. 

Shane, from the very beginning, I'm talking about 0 euro balance rather 0 days left on 17/08/2021. I had already similar expiry situations this year and the counter worked correctly until 23:59:59. This time, however, the credit was lost at 00:00:00. Not at 17/08/2021 23:59:59, but at 17/08/2021 00:00:00.

I'll need to take a closer look at your accounts can I get you to PM me both numbers, the address, & date of birth listed under the accounts for validation? I'll check on the plan expiry then for you. 

Three kept purging my credit without any remorse so without Ombudsman there appears to be no way to get it sorted. Now, that my balance is immaculately clean (0.00), how long will my number stay active on Three network? I'm not going to top it up just to feed Three appetite.

LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@two Hi there, I can see you've been chatting with Three_Deborah and Three_Shane regarding your credit. To keep your SIM card active you need to top-up or make a chargeable call or text at least once every 180 days, as long as you do that your SIM won't expire.

two
Investigator
Investigator

Laura, my balance is 0 since 17/08/2021. It was removed incorrectly but Three won't budge. Now, how long is my SIM going to be active with 0 credit? This is my question. Obviously, without topups or chargeable events. Please let me know if you can answer it here or I need to address it to Comreg again. Thanks.