Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

ESIM Rollout

ESIM Rollout

Hi

Vodafone Ireland have recently started issuing ESims in ROI.  I think Three should follow suit soon, handsets such as iPhone only allow dual sim using one of these

455 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is soooo frustrating. I just pre ordered the watch 8 cellular version in the hopes soon I can have the full features my watch is capable of. I want to be able to leave my phone at home and know I can still get important notifications.

Dalk
Investigator

@Anonymous Who did you preorder the cellular version from? Apple? 

I notice the Apple Watch Ultra that’s available here says it’s gps only… although apple said all versions will be cellular…. A bit odd. 

Either way, Three needs to get the finger out and get eSIMs sorted.  

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalk I pre ordered from Very.ie but Amazon also have the pre orders too which are cheaper which I discovered afterwards 😂🙈

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dalk I preordered from Very but Amazon have them too 😍

Tom_02869

I think there might be a commercial motive at play. Maybe to do with locked devices and enabling a second line access to another provider on the eSIM leading to revenue loss. It also moves control to the device provider away from the network provider.

Dalk
Investigator

@Anonymous I’m planning on picking up the Ultra when I’m in the states.  

I find it odd how they advertise the watch here as gps only…. I wonder if it’s purely marketing as they know no networks here have the ability, or if they’re actually a different model…

If Three sold high capacity iPhones id probably buy from them.  They don’t though, so I buy direct every year.  It works out better in the long run as the resale value is higher.  

I asked before why they don’t sell the higher capacity phones and they couldn’t really give em an answer. 

Either way, I can’t see eSIM launching here anytime soon.  It’s a shame but I suppose it’s a bit of a first world problem. 

I usually buy my iPhone directly from Apple but I wanted to save some money (around €400) and buy it in Apple in the United States but guess what; I won't be able to do it because Three doesn't support eSIM yet : ( This is a shame; because we can see they are behind on technology. 

billbond4
Leader
It's a negative move from Apple, as its more restrictive on consumers to have esims only.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@billbond4 That was intentional by Apple apparently to stop products from being imported.

Torbell

Circling back to this topic... I purchased an iPhone 14 whilst in the US. I will be in the US for several months, but have a Three plan to use in Ireland. This phone does not support physical SIM. Vodafone appears to be the only company who supports eSIM right now.

Does Three have any update to share regarding eSIM support? How hard could it possibly be to implement eSIM, other carriers around the world have been able to support it for several years now....

Three, please step up and provide eSIM.