Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

ESIM Rollout

ESIM Rollout

Hi

Vodafone Ireland have recently started issuing ESims in ROI.  I think Three should follow suit soon, handsets such as iPhone only allow dual sim using one of these

455 Comments
NFH
Investigator
Investigator

As an Irishman living in London, I have a Three Ireland number and a Three UK number. I would love to have both numbers active in my iPhone at the same time, but iPhones have only one physical SIM slot plus one or two eSIMs, and neither Three Ireland nor Three UK supports eSIM yet.

I believe that Three Ireland's eSIM launch date is closely related to Three UK's eSIM launch date. I'll explain why.

Three UK launched eSIM on 25th September 2020. Three UK wrote on its web siteeSIMs are here on Three”; “You can also swap your current physical SIM for an eSIM. Just request one here”; and “Take note that when we process your eSIM request, your physical SIM will be disconnected. You'll need to wait for your new eSIM to arrive. This will mean you'll have to go 1-2 days without service”. This text remained unchanged until early November 2020. Despite this public launch, it was impossible to obtain an eSIM from Three UK except by taking out a new monthly contract in several Three stores in northern England. Three UK later pulled the launch and retrospectively tweeted that its launch had been only a "trial", presumably because something had gone seriously wrong with its public eSIM launch on 25th September 2020.

Starting with a tweet on 3rd June 2021 and followed by multiple similar tweets, Three UK changed its narrative, saying "We’re working hard to bring you eSIM as soon as we can. We’re hoping to launch support for Apple Watches later this year, and to share further news on a wider launch for phones soon". Since 17th September 2021, Three UK started tweeting "Following a successful trial in a small number of retail stores, we’re pleased to tell you that we will be launching eSIM on handsets in 2022. We don’t have an exact date right now but rest assured we’ll inform you when this is available for both consumer and business customers".

Now comes the significant part with respect to Three Ireland. Reports in August 2021 here and here explained that Three had just signed an agreement with Amdocs for both Three UK and Three Ireland, which included eSIM functionality. This suggested that Three UK had given up trying to relaunch its own in-house eSIM and had turned to a third party to deliver the functionality. That's why we're still waiting almost two years following Three UK's original public eSIM launch date. Given that Amdocs is providing new functionality to both Three UK and Three Ireland, my guess is that both countries will receive eSIM at a similar time. And with rumours of at least one forthcoming iPhone 14 having no physical SIM slot, both Three Ireland and Three UK might need to get eSIM implemented by late September 2022.
billbond4
Leader

Fingers crossed this and more 5G options will be rolling out on the Three network sooner rather than later

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi there @NFH that is impressive research you have done 👍 you're very well informed. At the moment I can neither confirm nor deny our esim roll out will launch at the same time as Three UK's. The same as always as soon as I have some info I'll let you know.

Charlie
Investigator

Laughable that this isn't done yet. Off to Vodafone after many many years with you guys. Disappointing.

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @Charlie I understand that this is taking longer than originally thought, and as soon as there is solid news we'll let the Community know.

Browni

@Three_Staceyisn't there anything you can tell about the roll out of eSIM's on Three.ie?
Why is Three.ie leaving customers out in the cold?
Where is the problem?
Can THREE IRL really afford to upset their loyal and future customers like that?
It would be so easy with better communication with customers!

Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

@Browni I've spoken with the eSIM project team. They have advised that eSIM is coming in 2023 and we are working with our partners to ensure compatibility with a wide range of devices, smart watches and other data-only devices. As Stacey said above as soon as we have any more information we'll be sure to the Community. 

pizzahead77
Investigator

@Three_Shane1 thank you for the update. I know people are frustrated with the lack of rollout on this. But its nice to see that Three seem to be going to get it right from the start (unlike some other networks) by planning to support smartwatches and other devices 😁

Dalk
Investigator

Ok folks, so the iPhone 14 has just been announced with US versions having no physical sim slot...

Any update on eSIMs on Three???

Browni

@Three_Shane1 

2023 is definitely too late!
The year is long! Spring, autumn or even winter?
Now Three should finally deliver!
There was enough time to bring the project to a successful conclusion!
eSIM's aren't new, and the specifications certainly aren't.
You get the impression that Three slept or just set their priorities wrong!