Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

5G Broadband - Disappointed so far. Can you help ?

SOLVED
Add_14071
Investigator

5G Broadband - Disappointed so far. Can you help ?

Hi,

We used to be on 4G with 3 for years and was very happy with what we were getting. Constant speed, reliable, and nice enough speed. 

we got a 5G router installed on Tuesday - and so far it is a huge disappointment. The installer was very competent, tested the reception of the ZTE MC7010 - and was happy that we were in an area where the reception was good. ( he mentioned we needed over 100 to go with the install, and measured 180 - not sure what he was measuring exactly ) 

He used our old SIM in the new router. 

Speed test : so far, during the day, the max we are getting is 40Mbps download, but it's very up and down. right now i am getting 30 down, 15 up - while i am getting 40 on my phone on 4G. 

In the evening - we are getting much much worse where we see 3, 4, 5 mpbs download speed !

Honestly, I was expecting much better, right now this is a downgrade from our 4G connection. 

We have contacted the support Thursday evening - this was escalated but no one came back to us yet. 

is it a Sim card issue - does it need to be change ? is our account allow for 5G or are we stuck on 4G ? 

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

Hi @Add_14071 thanks for getting back to me. Please PM me your name, broadband number, full address and date of birth and I will review your account and see what our next step is. 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi there @Add_14071 I'd love to help you with this 😊 Has there been any change to your service since you posted or have you been contacted by care? Did you get a reference number when you contacted care?

Hi Stacey,

No change of service now - but i did manage to access the MC7010 setup screen : the network seems to bounce between 4G and 4G+, but never 5G. 

Our old Huawei router was always on 4G+. 

we haven't been re-contacted by care - will send you my account details in PM

Hi @Add_14071 thanks for getting back to me. Please PM me your name, broadband number, full address and date of birth and I will review your account and see what our next step is. 

So this situation is getting pretty bad.

The connection is still bad, very unstable in the evening  -  one of us work from home and teams calls have been dropping, some evening we can't watch netflix. 

as advised by Tracey, we contacted the dedicated team for tech-installed broadband on 1800 800 002.

they did a few checks : all is good on account's side, they checked the speed connected directly to the MC7010, and did a few test : the config is good, but still, no speed over 4g. This was escalated and we were advised to a follow up on Wednesday

We got contacted back today - and again, it was confirm that all the configuration good. I did mentioned that i was thinking the Sim can be at fault ( it is a very old sim ) and they advised that it could potentially be the issue. 

They told us that the next step would be to send an engineer back, but that normally we would have to pay for the visit ( ??? ) and that they were going to check if the fee could be waved. 

they checked - they have to charge us to send an engineer. They'll waive the fee if they found a fault. 

It was installed by your engineer, which tested the reception from the cell tower to the house before doing the installation ( which did involve drilling through my wall ). 

I don't agree with this, as the fault has been confirmed - it shouldn't be for me to pay for an engineer's visit for something installed by three. We  suggested that a new sim be sent to us, but we were advised that a sim changed needs to be done by an engineer because it lives in the MC7010 so the orientation needs to be set - etc .

please get your contract people to call us, we will be cancelling this upgrade. We have been using 3 broadband since the original National Broadband scheme and have been very happy with your services overall, so this is a huge disappointment. 

Hi @Add_14071thanks for getting back to me. From the information, you have given above our broadband team which you spoke to has advised that a fault can't be confirmed without an engineer on site.  If you do opt to get an engineer to visit while checking the service they can also replace the sim card. If you would like to speak to someone about your contract you can do so by calling 1800 800 002.

Hi Stacey, 

just for clarity : the fault is very much there : we have now I think there is no questions around this, and working from home is impacted as well - the people we have spoken to do realise that - which is why i am certainly not agreeing for me to have to pay for you to fix it. 

Here's a speedtest i did just now with my macbook air, which has wifi 6, like the lovely router you give us, on wifi 6 as well . 

Imagine. 1.69 download. we NEVER had this on 4g with our old Huawei router. 

So here it is. Of course i'd happily have an engineer here. Absolutely i can have a sim card changed. hell, i'll change it myself . But i will absolutely not pay for this visit. not in a million years. 

Screenshot 2022-09-16 at 16.51.50.png

Hi @Add_14071thanks for the above info. The more I have the better. I have reached out to our tech-installed broadband team to find out the next steps needed. As soon as I have an update I'll reply.

Thank you. looking forward to have a solution or, if it cannot be fixed without me having extra cost, a cancellation. 

the guy who did the installation seemed very competent, I hope those guys can fix the issue. 

Hi @Add_14071   I've spoken with the relevant team & they have asked for you to contact them directly on 1800 800 002 so they can speak with you regarding your service, troubleshooting and possible solutions.