Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Data Usage text despite being "Unlimited"

djeire84
Investigator

Data Usage text despite being "Unlimited"

I got the below text message today about my NATIONAL DATA: 

From Three: Your 124,419,072MB NATIONAL DATA will finish on Jan 7, 2024 12:00:00 AM. You've used 50,355,084MB so far. Your balance is 0. See your allowance and other options at www.three.ie/my3

Now I thought my plan was unlimited. Since 5G had been enabled indoors for the first time at my folks' home I've been using data as they're WiFi (sky broadband) is rubbish for Xbox cloud gaming. Am I going to be getting messages like the above all the time I'm at my parents home? This is outrageous. I mean giving full fast and reliable 5G and expecting people not to utilise it is not sustainable. Also I tried converting the 124,429,072MB into GB and even Google don't recognise the number. Do you mean GB and not MB. This is ridiculous!!

9 REPLIES 9
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @djeire84 the text you received highlights your current balance and data usage since your last top up and alerts you that you are coming to the end of your current 28 day period.

But like how much data can I use? Like how much on total can I use? Also is it in GB or MB. 

Looks like nobody is going to answer my query. That's nice and if I go over that allowance I'll get charged. I can put in the allowance into my phone settings and keep an eye out for going over it. It seems like Three want me to go over my set usage do they can charge me. It's outrageous so it is. That a simple question cannot be answered. 

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @djeire84 , apologies that I am just replying here to you now, as the moderators are only online Monday to Friday we attempt to reply to queries posted over the weekend as soon as possible on Monday.

I have looked at the above text for you and I can see that the message should be advising you that have used 50.3GB of data. If you have All You Can Eat Data this would be subject to a fair usage policy and you can view more information about your plan here by selecting your plan.

Nowhere on any of the PDF documents and the site talks of the most data you can use. It does mention the 14GB data you can use abroad but none of the NATIONAL data cap. Now before 5G and up to the year before last you could see a fair use policy was in place of 60GB now nowhere does it state what is the current NATIONAL fair usage cap. I just want to know is it 125GB I mean I don't want to go over my use and I do understand I don't want to be congesting the network for other users. But to have 5G speeds and many users using XCloud gaming this can be exceeded. I mean if we had a TB add on for and extra 10 euro to cover cloud gaming would be an idea. 

@djeire84 I'd love to investigate this further for you but to be accurate I'll need you to contact me via PM with your full name, mobile number, address and date of birth so I can check your plan.

Roy_92199
Novice

Technically that message is telling you that you allowance should be 124.43 terabytes (TB). 

1,000 GB in 1 TB

1, 000 MB in 1GB

Perhaps 3 will honour their new data meal plan for the customers who have receive this update, myself included, and unlike the restricted diet plan of data, what actually be all I could eat data... Probably more way more than I could.

I

would then also like to point out that data usage is metered on devices and you have an accounting problem for the amount of data consumed.

If your theory above is correct then according to three I've used 50TB of data. I mean I couldn't have used that much. They have a serious issue when it comes to distinguishing between a MB, GB and a TB. It don't make a lick of sense. It's baffling. 

ClareFolan
Investigator

Yes, god these types of texts reminding you of your unlimited data is running low is very annoying.

iPhone 15 Pro