Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Can't receive texts from abroad

alanmccormack
Investigator

Can't receive texts from abroad

Hi, I am a Three prepay customer and I have just found out that I have not been receiving texts from abroad (specifically the UK) for the last 3 weeks (approx). Up until that point I sent and received all texts perfectly and have done for 20 years. Recently my Mum asked me why I've been ignoring her - I assured her that I wasn't, then yesterday my sister asked me why I hadn't replied to her texts, I told her that I haven't received a text from her in about 2 weeks. When I investigated and asked my Mum, brother and sister to send me a text yesterday not a single text got through to me.

I can send texts to them fine. It doesn't matter if they send me a new text or reply to a previous text, they just don't get to my phone. My phone is a 10 year old Nokia and I have made no changes to it or any of it's settings. Has anything changed in Three in the last 2 to 3 weeks? Has anyone else experienced something similar? I'm at a loss.

16 REPLIES 16
LauraH
3 Mod Retired

@alanmccormack Hi there and welcome to 3Community. I'd love to look into this for you and to do this I'll need to access your account. Pop me a PM with your phone number, full name, address and date of birth so I can check your account set up and I may need to pass your details to our tech team for investigation👌

Have sent you a PM there. Thanks.

Just to give an update on this issue for others who are experiencing this. I still can't receive texts from abroad.

The messages do not arrive from 3 separate people on three different UK networks. All UK texts stopped about 5 to 6 weeks ago (I can't be sure of the exact date, as I wasn't aware they had stopped working, I just thought people were being quiet!). I can send texts to anyone, anywhere just fine and I can receive Irish text messages fine.

I have tried a few things now. I own an old Nokia phone, so I tried a new Nokia phone and that didn't work. I went to try a Samsumg Smart phone but they take a smaller SIM, so my big SIM wouldn't fit. So after no joy with a different phone I ordered a new sim, which I am using now, but no luck there either. Three told me that they have investigated and say the problem is not at their end and as far as they are concerned all is well.

What I can't understand is, why have texts from three totally different UK networks all stopped working at the same time. It makes no sense. Does someone know if something changed in how texts are sent internationally recently?

I'm at loss. Any help appreciated.

@alanmccormack Sorry to hear that the new SIM didn't work. On my side, I'll report back to the tech team again, pop me on some recent examples via PM 👍

Hi Laura, thanks for replying, but I think we've down this road before, so I'm not hopeful. However, I'm desperate at this stage, so I'll ask my family to send copies of the texts they sent yesterday and I'll PM them on to you.

I can text my UK family fine and they can ring me fine, just no texts from the UK to my phone, they can text my wife's Samsung smart phone, so I don't think the issue is at their end. My wife is also a Three customer.

I don't think it makes any difference, but I have an old Nokia 2320 that used to be tied to the O2 network. I've been with Three for years and everything has worked perfectly for years and I haven't changed anything on the Nokia, but might there be settings I can check on it? Have Three changed some setting that might impact these old Nokia phones?

Thanks.

Alan

@alanmccormack Thanks for getting back to me! No settings have been changed, I know you've tried the new SIM card, have you tried this in a different phone to your Nokia 2320? This will tell us for sure if it's the phone 

Hi Laura, okay, will do and I'll let you know the outcome.

Hi Alan , i have the same problem since April this year. My parents are in Croatia and before then we were normally texting after that i haven't received any of their messages. My partner either and he's on 3network as well. Few of my friends tried to text me as well and no luck. I have reported this issue couple of months ago, they said it was resolved, but still not working.

Hi Ninab, It's really frustrating isn't it? I can ring and text them and they can ring me, they just can't text me. However, they can text my wife, who is also a Three customer. It doesn't make any sense. I strongly suspect Three have changed something, some setting. Maybe it's related to my old Nokia, I just don't know for sure and Three say it's not at their end. Oh well what can you do? I'll just have to put up with I suppose.