Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

All About: Keeping your Prepay Number Active

Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

Three_Deborah_0-1687190796949.png

Every now and then, customers contact us about their old Prepay numbers that aren’t working anymore, to see if they can be reactivated, or because they have received an SMS stating that their Prepay number is marked to be removed from the network.  

The 3Community is here to explain why this happens! Keep reading to find out more 😊  

Why?

All networks have limited mobile numbers available for customers. To ensure that we have enough mobile numbers for all of our customers, SIMs that show no activity are sent for recycling, meaning that they will be used again at a future date. Prepay customers receive an SMS alert, like the one below 👇, when there hasn’t been a top up or a credit reducing call, text, or data usage in at least 90 days.  

Three_Deborah_1-1687190842575.png

Did you know that you can top up using My3? Register, here

What does this mean for me?

Does this mean your number is going to be cancelled straight away? No, it does not! At Three, we understand that your Prepay number might be deemed inactive because the SIM is in a drawer somewhere while you are travelling abroad, or your SIM might be in a security system (gate/camera). Perhaps you don’t know where your SIM is but you want to keep the number!

(In this case, we would strongly suggest that you perform a SIM replacement:All about: SIM Replacements)

What next?  

Whatever the reason, once you receive this SMS alert, you will have another 180 days before your number is marked for removal from the network. To keep your number active on the Three network, you will need to top up, or if you have credit, make a call, send a text, or use some data. (Freephone numbers and web text are not considered as credit reducing usage)  

Once a number is marked for removal from the network, it is scheduled to go into “quarantine”. This will happen about one year since your last top up, or since the last time there was credit reducing usage. At this stage, you will need to contact us (How to contact Threeto reactivate your SIM and number. Remember that you will need to top up immediately!

VERY IMPORTANT!

Your number will stay in quarantine for up to one year, and it will then be deleted from our network. At this stage, you will not be able to reactivate your number, and it will go to recycling, meaning that the number could become available again on a network as a new number. 

I was once asked if this process applies to ALL Prepay Plans? Yes it does, including Prepay broadband. (which is very handy in the campervan or mobile home 😍). If you don’t know your broadband number, have a look at our blog:How to Find your Mobile Broadband Number   

You might find these other Prepay blogs useful, so be sure to take a look:

As always, if you have any questions, you can comment below 👇 or pop over to our Prepay forum.

2 Comments
Welcometo2024

I’ve had the same number since 2000. I have a work number so switched to prepay years ago. This is new, I had no problem keeping my number active before. 

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi there @Welcometo2024 yes this is relatively new, but don't worry we'll never close your number without notifying you and giving you time to take action to keep the number going.