Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

All About: eSIM

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Three_Stacey_1-1695289007639.png

I know this is something a lot of you have been waiting patiently for, so I'm happy to share that eSIM is here! 🥳

What is eSIM?

An eSIM is a built-in SIM card that’s been pre-installed into a device, so it removes the need to insert a physical SIM. The 'e' in eSim stands for 'embedded'. They work exactly like physical SIM cards, but they make setting up a new phone a breeze. Instead of having to get a SIM replacement from a store or wait for one to be delivered, you can get connected immediately.

Benefits of eSIM

It’s easier to switch to Three. You can switch to Three online or with a phone call, instead of ordering a new SIM and waiting for it to arrive. To remove the old SIM from your phone, you won't need a SIM ejector tool.

eSIM allows you to have more than one SIM. A person can have a personal number and a business number without carrying two phones. You can receive phone calls and texts on both numbers at the same time and choose which SIM to use for making calls, sending text messages, and using data. 

eSIM is more sustainable. Since there is no physical SIM card, there is no plastic, or no postage and packaging, so eSIM is an environmentally-friendly option

Even more secure. A number of advanced security features are also included in eSIM, including resistance to unauthorised cloning and tampering. eSIM users can have additional peace of mind knowing that their information is protected.

How do I activate eSIM?

Before you start

1. Not all phones are eSIM compatible, double check that yours is before you start.
  2. If you need to order an eSIM you can do this in our online shop, here.
  3. Activate your eSIM on your device.

On iPhone

Click here for more
  1. Turn on Wi-Fi.
  2. Open 'Device Settings'.
  3. Select 'Setup Mobile Data'.
  4. Select 'Use QR Code'.
  5. Scan the QR code that we emailed you.
  6. Enter the confirmation code that was sent in a separate email.

On Android

Click here for more
  1. Turn on Wi-Fi.
  3. Select 'Connections'.
  4. Select 'SIM Card Manager'.
  5. Select 'Add Mobile Plan'.
  6. Select 'Scan Carrier QR code'.
  7. Scan the QR code that we emailed you.
  8. Enter the confirmation code that was sent in a separate email.

On Google Pixel

Click here for more
  1. Turn on Wi-Fi.
  3. Select 'Network and Internet'.
  4. Select 'Mobile Network'.
  5. Select 'Download a SIM Instead'.
  6. Scan the QR code that we emailed you.
  7. Enter the confirmation code that was sent in a separate email.

Three_Stacey_0-1695897871708.png

FAQ

What is eSIM? 

An eSIM is a built-in digital SIM in your device, activated by scanning a QR code and entering a confirmation code from an email that we send. It functions like a regular SIM but offers added benefits like:

• It is quick and easy to set up. You can activate your eSIM straight away!
  • On one device, users can save multiple profiles, allowing them to have two numbers and switch between them easily.
  • Less waste is involved in receiving an eSIM, which means they are more environmentally-friendly! Unlike physical SIMs which involve plastic packaging waste, eSIMs arrive via email.

How can I get eSIM? (New to Three)

eSIM is currently available on all Three plans. All you need to do to set up an eSIM is choose an eSIM compatible handset on three.ie and select eSIM.

How can I get eSIM? (Already with Three)    

If you already have an account with Three, an eSIM compatible device, and wish to switch to an eSIM, you can do this on the 'Replace My SIM' page.

What is an eSIM QR code?

When you order an eSIM, you will receive an email from Three. This email will contain a QR code for you to scan with your smartphone camera. Scanning the QR code is how you will download your eSIM profile to your device

How do I activate my eSIM?

All you need to do is follow these 3 easy steps 😊

1. Open the camera on your phone.

2. Scan the eSIM QR code that you received via email.

3. Enable your eSIM, and connect to the Three network.

Does my device support eSIM?

Please review the list below to ensure that your device is compatible with eSIM before you order one.

Click here for more

iPhone XR

iPhone 11

iPhone 11 Pro

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Samsung Galaxy S20 4G

Samsung Galaxy S20 5G

Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus 5G

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G

Samsung Z Flip

iPhone SE 2020

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra

iPhone 12

iPhone 12 mini

iPhone 12 Pro Max

iPhone 12 Pro

iPhone 13

Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Samsung Galaxy S21 Plus

Samsung Galaxy S21

iPhone 13 mini

iPhone 13 Pro

iPhone 13 Pro Max

iPhone SE 3rd Gen

Samsung Galaxy S22

Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus

Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 5G

Oppo Find X5 5G

Samsung Galaxy Flip 4

Samsung Galaxy Fold 4

iPhone 14 Pro Max

iPhone 14

iPhone 14 Plus

iPhone 14 Plus

Xiaomi 12T Pro 5G

Xiaomi 13 Lite 5G

Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra

Samsung Galaxy S23 Plus

Samsung Galaxy S23

Samsung A54 5G

Google Pixel 7

Google Pixel 7a

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5

HONOR 90

Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5

Google Pixel 8

Google Pixel 8 Pro

iPhone 15

iPhone 15 Plus

iPhone 15 Pro

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Please note that eSIM is only available on compatible phones.

Can I use an eSIM and a physical sim in my phone?

Yes, if your phone has the capacity to use a physical SIM and an eSIM.

Using both a physical SIM and eSIM in the same phone is handy if you want to have the same device for work and personal use. This means you can have a personal number and a work number without carrying two phones! You can receive phone calls and texts on both numbers at the same time and choose which SIM to use for making calls, sending text messages, and using data.

Please note that to use roaming, you will need to make sure your phone is unlocked. To request an unlock code, click here

27 Comments
Alex_55392

I switched my sim to esim. I only able to select 4G/LTE and not 5G. My plan is 3 Prepay Hero and should include 5G. My phone is Pixel 6 Pro. Where might be a problem?

Edit: I found the problem. My There esim wasn't selected as default for data. 

AnnaKate

Will I be able to active eSIM on a new phone while in the United States?

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @AnnaKate  , Welcome to the 3Community 🙂

With eSIM you can activate this in any location by requesting to activate the eSIM here

evaneilll2015

Can I transfer an e sim from I phone to google pixel 8 

Three_Niall
3 Community Admin

Hey @evaneilll2015, you can set up an eSIM on your new device by selecting a replacement SIM here.

Ken_56205

Hi there,

When will apple watches be supported by Three?

Be handy not to have to switch to Vodafone!

Thanks

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @Ken_56205 and welcome to 3Community.

This is a query that was added to our Ideas board a while back. At the moment I don't have a specific timeframe but it is something that we are working towards. If you click here you'll see the thread on this from our ideas board, once we have any update we'll post it there.