Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

SCAM - Roaming while on board a boat - beware!

Add_16126
Investigator

SCAM - Roaming while on board a boat - beware!

I've been hit with 170 of roaming charges while travelling on a ferry to France for 20 mins usage off a satelitte.  I've travelled this way for years and have never been hit by these charges.  I am beyond annoyed,  Trying to work a query through these bots and outsourced agents is a really bad experience.  It has ruined my holiday.

4 REPLIES 4
Three_Shane1
3 Mod Retired

@Add_16126 Hi there, I've moved your post to the Bill Pay Plans and Services section as it is a more relevant area. I'm sorry to hear that you were charged for data services while on the ferry but as you connected to a satellite the data charges are higher rated. If you are on a ship/flight within the EU region, this is not part of EU roaming regulation so you're EU roaming allowances wouldn't apply. 

With any kind of mobile data charge even if you're not actively using your phone, it will continue to look for service to keep apps updated. 

For more details on roaming, we have two posts on the 3Community Data Roaming Charges & Roaming Summary. 

i'm frankly disgusted with how 3 have dealt with this.  I'm going to raise with ComReg.  I also note that customers in similar situations have had the charges waived.  in any case, I can't afford the e220 charges so won't be a position to pay.  I'll most likely leave 3 because of the way this is handled.

closing the door after the horse has bolted

@Add_16126 from your posts I can see that you've spoken with our customer care team about this. I can understand your frustration as these were charges you were not prepared for and the cost of data usage while on a ferry is very high.