3Community Menu

Mobile internet issue in Stillorgan

SOLVED
MV2
Investigator
Investigator

Mobile internet issue in Stillorgan

Hello,

Since August 19, mobile Internet on my phone has been unstable. It is either extremely slow, or there is no Internet at all. The same issue was observed on other sim cards (Lycamobile/Tesco), probably Three shares equipment/mast with them. I have also rebooted my phone and turned airline mode on/off. Having talked to your support team twice, they confirmed that there is some outage in my area without providing any ETA when the issue gets fixed:

> Yes as I can see current partial network is down at the given address, in this case I'll refresh network for your account after that you can restart your phone and select Three network manually.

The steps above did not help either.

Can you please clarify when you resolve the issue?

I am based at Stillorgan and can send a DM with my data.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Best Answer

@MV2 Good morning 😊 I've just checked on the status of the works & they have been completed. Service has been fully restored on the mast now. If your service hasn't returned yet can I get you to power off & on your phone? Once you've powered off & on your phone pop back to me if you're still experiencing difficulties. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @MV2 tell me more about what you're seeing in Stillorgan! Are you only experiencing difficulties in the area you have mentioned? I've had a look at our Planned Works post and I can see that Stillorgan is listed. Please have a look here and see if your specific area is listed.

Hi @Three_Stacey,

Here are the issues that I am observing:

- the Internet gets slow or does not work at all;

- looking at the phone, the indicator changes from H to H+ or vice versa (Google Pixel 4a 5G with a 4G data plan);

- sometimes there is also an exclamation mark on the network signal;

- I got an impression that it works better very early in the morning (6AM);

I contacted Three_Care on twitter and that is their reply:

> I've checked the area from the eircode above & can see there are works ongoing at present. While these works are ongoing you may experience some disruption to your services. As these works were not planned and are ongoing due to a dip in performance on the site, I don't have an exact time of when they will be completed.

I also got in touch with support via Web chat and they said that network is down partially.

As I said, I rebooted the phone several times and turned airline mode on/off (waiting 15-20 seconds in between). Then, the same issue happens with other devices in my apartment: iPad, another phone. It also happens with different sim cards: Lycamobile and Tesco, that were previously working fine. The problem started happening since Friday noon (August 18).

I switched to eir as I cannot work otherwise - it works okay.

Thanks for providing the link - it is really helpful! https://community.three.ie/t5/3MadeEasy/Planned-works-schedule/ba-p/773899

I am located in 'the cluster of estates' below:

>

Coverage in Stillorgan Village, on the Stillorgan Road and the cluster of estates located between Newtown Park Avenue and Stillorgan Park Road.

Judging by the link, the Internet should be back by Thursday.

I will let you know if that is not the case.

Three_Stacey
3 Community Admin

Hi @MV2 I'm delighted you found the link helpful 😊 If you're still experiencing difficulties later on in the week let me know, I'll be happy to take a look into it for you.

Hi @Three_Stacey, I am afraid I am still experiencing network issues.

I thought it might be related to another planned works on 24th:

24/08/2022Coverage in the area of Newtown Park Avenue, Rockville, Castlebyrne, Carysfort Avenue, Rowan Park, Stillorgan Park and the surrounding roads and Cloister Avenue and the surrounding roads.

However, it is August 25th and the Internet speed is just very slow. I tried to launch Speedtest on my phone twice, but both times it failed due to download errors. Google search and other stuff works at non-acceptable speed. Sometimes there is also an exclamation mark on the network signal and no H/H+ indicator at all.

The Internet was okay around 8am today and I can confirm it works better in early morning (before 9am) or very late night (after 11pm; but not as well as it was two weeks ago). Since it is almost a week I am having these Internet issues, can you please advise if anything can be done to resolve it?

I have been using eir this week and it works fine.

As I said, the issue was first observed last Friday, August 19 from 2pm to 4pm, and has been continuing up to this day. I have been using Three at this location for more than a year and it is the first time I have experienced this type of issue. It used to work really well and I did not notice any instability.

@MV2 can I get you to PM me your Eircode? I'll check which mast you connect to in the area & see if the works that were underway on the 24th have been extended. 

Is there an exclamation mark showing now on your phone? The exclamation mark on the network signal or mobile data icon means that your phone cannot connect to cellular data. You may have a full 4G network, but mobile data will not be available. This usually happens when data is used up when there is no data connection, or because of incorrect Internet settings or other problems.

I'll check on the coverage in the area first for you & if service is fully restored we can look at other options that may be affecting you. 

@Three_Shane1,

I sent a PM with my Eircode.

@Three_Shane1 wrote:

Is there an exclamation mark showing now on your phone? The exclamation mark on the network signal or mobile data icon means that your phone cannot connect to cellular data. You may have a full 4G network, but mobile data will not be available. This usually happens when data is used up when there is no data connection, or because of incorrect Internet settings or other problems.

There is no exclamation mark at the moment. I see it sometimes when there is no Internet at all and I cannot access any web sites. At the same time I can see that H changed to H+ or vice versa. I saw 4G there yesterday.

I managed to connect to speedtest.net on my phone and got a download speed of 1Mbps. I don't recall what it was like before August 19 but it was probably faster.

Regarding network settings, I have not changed anything myself (e.g. APN and other stuff). However, I was talking to Three's Support person via Web Chat on August 20 and he said that he "refreshed network for my account" - I don't know what it means but it did not help for sure :

> Yes as I can see current partial network is down at the given address, in this case I'll refresh network for your account after that you can restart your phone and select Three network manually.

Then I was also talking to Three_Care on Twitter and they confirmed that there were some works last Friday, August 19:

> I've checked the area from the eircode above & can see there are works ongoing at present. While these works are ongoing you may experience some disruption to your services. As these works were not planned and are ongoing due to a dip in performance on the site, I don't have an exact time of when they will be completed. Rest assured our tech team is working hard to resume services as soon as possible. I apologize for any inconvenience.

@MV2 Thanks for the Eircode. I've checked on the coverage in your area, and the planned work on the mast you connect to is still ongoing.

Normally planned works take 24 hrs to complete but in some cases like yours once we send an engineer on site more work is required than we initially thought. Currently, we're awaiting a replacement part to restore full service.

I'll keep an eye on the works & let you know once we have the replacement in place. 

@MV2 Good morning 😊 I've just checked on the status of the works & they have been completed. Service has been fully restored on the mast now. If your service hasn't returned yet can I get you to power off & on your phone? Once you've powered off & on your phone pop back to me if you're still experiencing difficulties. 

Hi @Three_Shane1 , the Internet has been working exceptionally well since yesterday evening. I assume that is the time the parts were replaced. I am not experiencing any issues at present and the Internet performance is back to normal. Thanks a lot for your help on this!