Great Phone Offers With All You Can Eat Data | Three.ie
3Community Menu

Utterly baffling

scottishwildcat
Connector

Utterly baffling

Ever since I made the ill-advised switch from the BeFree Internet plan to the newfangled Prepay 20 plan, I remain utterly confused about how to top up and what expires when. Today is a typical example of why, I woke up to find this text:

Screenshot_20210121-114400.png

but when I look at my Balance Details, it shows this:

Screenshot 2021-01-21 at 11.47.38.png

Why do the two balances bear no relation to each other? What are all those credit amounts and expiry dates all about? It all seems ridiculously confusing.

8 REPLIES 8
Three_Deborah
3 Mod Retired

@scottishwildcat 

Hello there, I see where you are coming from. Being on 3Prepay 20 means that you have unlimited data, plus Befree internet had 7.5GB of data. 🤔 It's possible that the text was sent in error. If so, I apologise for the inconvenience. I'll have that checked out soon. First what does it say when you check your data allowance in My3? Let me know and by the way, delighted to chat to you again 👍

Screenshot_20210122-130033.png

@scottishwildcat that's perfect Calum, it shows me that your All You Can Eat data is in place( infinity symbol). Now as for your balance, from looking above your current balance is €11.57 (right-hand corner). The breakdown shows the expiring date of each top-up.

"The breakdown shows the expiring date of each top-up." That's the bit I still don't understand. Can you tell me exactly what each of those four rows means, what I did that caused it to appear, and why they all have such wildly different expiry dates? I thought any topup I did expired after 28 days, so why I would I have things expiring in June, and in 2040?

@scottishwildcat Good morning. You're right in a sense, your plan expires after 28-days. However, top-up credit expires after 180 days. the above screenshot is intended to show you that. Can you tell me do the first 3 dates corresponded with a top-up done by you? The expiry date for 2040, is a weird one, can you tell me what is method and amount it shows for the top up for that one? 

Hi again, thanks for the reply.

You're right in a sense, your plan expires after 28-days. However, top-up credit expires after 180 days.
Okay, I still don't understand that means. If I top up by €25, what happens after 28 days, and what happens after 180 days? (I thought my computer science degree would come in handy for something one day, but apparently it's not "understanding phone plans"...)

Can you tell me do the first 3 dates corresponded with a top-up done by you?

Yes, they do.

18/2/2021 → 22/8/20: €25 topup

2/6/2021 → 4/12/20: €10 topup

20/6/2021 → 22/12/20: €10, then another €20, as I still regularly get confused about how to top up my voice vs. data.

The expiry date for 2040, is a weird one, can you tell me what is method and amount it shows for the top up for that one?

How can I tell which topup is responsible for that one, as I can't just subtract 180 days from it?
I topped up in both October and November, neither of which correspond to the three dates above. Would it be one of those two, or some earlier topup? (The website doesn't go back any further than these two.)

topup.png

@scottishwildcat Hi there, @Three_Deborah is away from her desk at the minute so I thought I'd pop in here. So, if you top-up by €25 and you're on 3 Prepay 20 then €20 is deducted immediately for your plan benefits and the remaining €5 goes into your balance. After 28 days your plan expires (if you haven't topped up by €20 beforehand) and you start to be charged for calls, texts and data from your €5 balance. If you had topped up to extend your plan, and you continue to do so, then your €5 will remain in your balance for 180 days from the time of the top-up. After this time it will expire if it hasn't been used. This is the same with the top-ups you've listed above.

For the 2040 one, I'm guessing this is a May 2020 top-up which would have had a 20 year validity period as per our legacy price plans 👍

Yeesh. Thanks for the explanation, I'm obviously too old to understand this stuff these days (or why any actual customer would want it to work like that, though I can see how it's a great money-spinner for Ian Three.)